GAUJA XXL TEAM RELAY
- Marathon GAUJA XXL is organised by Vecpiebalgas Airētāju biedrība (Vecpiebalga Kayaking club)
- Team relay GAUJA XXL takes place the tenth time, it is the competition of 420 km along the Gauja river from Taurene (Nēķena watermill) to the sea.
- The start for team relay is in Taurene on May 1 at 08:00. Finish is in Carnikava till May 3 23:59. It is expected that the competition winners will be at the finish on May 3 at 8:00.
- It is allowed to participate in single or double kayaks or canoes.
- Each team includes at least 4 members and at least two boats (one of which should be double) and at least one car.
- Distance is divided into 8 sections of average length 50 km each (see the technical information).
- Relay exchanges are carried out in checkpoints.
- Each participant must paddle at least 2 sections, but it is prohibited for one participant to run two sections in a row.
- Sections during the the night for safety reasons should be paddled in double boat.
- During first few sections it is not recommended to use a fiberglass boats, because of Gauja upper part.
- Organizers do not rent boats.
- On arrival, participants will be given a number and all the necessary information.
- At two checkpoints it will be possible to fill-up drinking water supplies and get a hot meal.
- Organizers do not offer transportation of the boats and participants.
- Participants of Gauja XXL Team Relay are recommended to have a support team with a car, which will provide assistance at a distance (for the food and drink supplies, or to provide dry clothing and medical help). NB! After the finish it is not recommended to drive for approx. 10 hours.
- If you want to quit do it at the checkpoint or near a bridge or road, where your support team can access you.
- If you are quitting, it is mandatory to inform organizers about your decision.
- NB! Organizers do not provide transportation of boats and participants from the quitting place. Use your support team.
- Time will be recorded in start and in the finish.
- Participation number must be visible throughout the race, otherwise the result will not be recorded.
- Results will be announced after the finish and published on the Internet.
- Throughout the race participants MUST be wearing a life jacket, if the participant in any part of competition has been seen without the jacket, he/she will be disqualified.
- Be careful on rapids (Valmiera) and floating trees, especially at night. We recommend you to use the head lamps or strong lantern affixed to the boat.
- It is not allowed to shorten the distance in any manner. Violators of this rule will be disqualified.
- Life jacket for each participant
- Spare clothing (waterproof packed)
- Mobile phone with a fully charged battery and the number of organizers recorded, waterproof packed.
- Drink and food
- First aid kit (and personal medications, if any)
- Lights (head and / or on the boat)
LIABILITY OF PARTICIPANTS
- This type of competition requires from participants to be physically and mentally strength and stamina. All participants are fully responsible for their actions during the race and are aware that the organizers are not responsible for injuries, health and life, equipment damage or loss.
- All participants are aware of risks and it is confirmed by the signature in the starting document.
- All participants are responsible for their own safety and equipment.
- NB! First Aid kit should include bandages, plasters, painkillers, etc.
- Wherever possible, provide assistance to other participants during the race.
- If someone needs help, remember his/her number, the location of accident and as soon as possible tell about it to organizers.
- Winners will be awarded.
- All participants will receive diplomas.
- Prize giving will take place immediately after the finish.